His Eminence Metropolitan John
(now our Patriarch, His Beatitude, JOHN X of Antioch and all the East)
A Pastor of great hope
His Eminence Metropolitan John has distinguished himself in the service of God and in the building up of His Church in the Middle East over many years. Countless testimonials are presented to us of how by the grace of God he educated the young, cared for the suffering, renewed the monastic life and led his people as a Godly bishop in the spiritual patrimony and tradition of Antioch. And now he comes to Europe!
The people of God in his churches here rejoice that such a man of great hope, a true pastor of Christ, should have been given to us by the Holy Spirit through the Holy Synod of Antioch. We shall pray for, support and follow our shepherd as he with us begins the great task set before us of building a house where all may find Christ. Many years Master!
Encyclicals, Sermons and Addresses
Metropolitan John greets the people of his new diocese
Metropolitan addresses the congregation at his enthronement
Service before becoming the Metropolitan in Western Europe:
BISHOP OF PYRGOU
Al-Hosn, Syria (1995 - 2008)
ABBOT OF ST. GEORGE AL-HUMAYRAH PATRIARCHAL MONASTERY
(1993 - 2005)
ABBOT OF OUR LADY OF BALAMAND PATRIARCHAL MONASTERY
DEAN OF ST. JOHN OF DAMASCUS INSTITUTE OF THEOLOGY
University of Balamand, (1989-1992 & 2001- 2005)
PROFESSOR OF LITURGICS
St. John of Damascus Institute of Theology in both the B.Div. (1981 - 2008) and M.Th. Programs (2000 - 2008)
Our Lady of Blemmana Convent, Lattakia, Syria (1983 - 2008)
Ph.D. in Theology , University of Thessaloniki, Greece. Field of Liturgics, 1983.
Diploma in Byzantine Music , Byzantine Music Conservatory. Thessaloniki, Greece, 1981.
Licence in Theology , St. John of Damascus Institute of Theology, Balamand, 1978.
Articles and Books:
- The Meaning of the Church From a Middle Eastern point of view - The Institute for Orthodox Studies Cambridge, 2002
- The Mystery of Repentance: a lecture delivered at Holy Spirit University - Kaslik in the year 2000 during a conference about Eastern Liturgical Life.
- The Hymnographic Contribution of the Antiochian Orthodox Church to the Byzantine Liturgical System During the Sixth and Seventh Centuries:
- The Service of Baptism: A Historic, Theological and Liturgical Study, Thessalonica, 1983 (in fulfillment of the PHD Thesis Requirements).
- Principles of Byzantine Music, Balamand, 1990, Second Edition 2001.
- The Life of St. Nectarios the Wonderworker, Lattakya, 1990.
- Priesthood & Marriage of Priests, Lattakya, 1992
- Baptism as a Sacrament of Initiation into the life in Christ, Lattakya, 1992.
- Liturgical Sources, in Annals of St. John of Damascus Institute of Theology 1993, under print.
- Church Praises, in the Annals of St. John of Damascus Institute of Theology 1994, under print.
- Divine Worship, in the Annals of St. John of Damascus Institute of Theology 1995, under print.
- Liturgical Forms, in Annals of St. John of Damascus Institute of Theology 1996, under print.
- The Liturgikon, St. George Al-Humayrah Patriarchal Monastery, 2001
- The Presanctified Service, St. George Al-Humayrah Patriarchal Monastery, 2001
- Introduction to the Liturgical Families and Rites (Arabic) St. John of Damascus Institute of Theology, 2003
- Introduction to the Liturgical Families and Rites (English) St. John of Damascus Institute of Theology, 2003
- The Prayers before and after Holy Communion, St. George Al-Humayrah Patriarchal Monastery, 2003
The life of Our Holy Righteous Mother Makrina, by St. Gregory of Nyssa, An-Nour Publications, 1984.
For Those Who Believe in Justification by Works, by St. Mark the Monk, in Chapters in Prayers and Spiritual Life, An-Nour, 1990.