St. Helen, Colchester
Shrine of St. Helen
How to find us
St Helen's Chapel, St Helen's Lane, Maidenburgh Street, off High Street, Colchester CO1 1UB
to walk to the church:
- Maidenburgh Street is a small turning off the High Street.
- In the High Street look for the George Hotel.
- Buses drop you at the George Hotel
- The Chapel is a little way down the hill, some 200 metres down behind the George Hotel.
- Note: Those coming from the east side of the town, including Students coming from the University campus, go to the Bus Station; walk up the High Street to near the George Hotel; turn right down Maidenburgh Street or George Street.
to drive to the church:
- Entering the town from the Chelmsford and London direction on the A12, follow signs for the Town Centre until you are on the Westway dual carriageway.
- When you reach the Middleborough Roundabout, do not go up the Balkerne Hill dual carriageway.
- Instead, at the Middleborough Roundabout, take the second exit marked Northgate (St Peter's Street).
- Cross the traffic lights at the bottom of the hill.
- Follow St Peter Street straight along to the Castle Park gates, and continue up the hill, which is Maidenburgh Street.
- St Helen's Chapel is half-way up Maidenburgh Street.
- For evening services, and on Sunday mornings, turn right into St Helen's Lane, and you can park in Oyster Court, beyond the church on the left.
- Drivers are warned to take extreme care in this ancient "Dutch Quarter" of Colchester.
- Buses cannot reach the Chapel: Private hire buses must go to the High Street, and let passengers off at the bottom of the High Street, at the small crescent around the War Memorial, which is outside the Castle.
Services, Contact and Parish Web Site
Great Vespers: Saturday, 4.30 pm
Anglican Church, Beatrice Road
Divine Liturgy: 3rd Saturday, 10.00 am
A hymn to St Helen of Colchester
"Native of our land, according to our fathers, Colchester's Daughter,